Wednesday, February 24, 2010

i'm impatient. and it's making me impatient.


So, here’s the thing:
I like to think that I’m in control of the universe. Silly, right? Yes. Very. I’m a control freak. Totally. I’m also impatient sometimes. Not like hey-jerk-why-aren’t-you-turning-you-totally-could-have-gone-by-now, but more like but-I-want-everything-to-happen-on-my-timetable-especially-in-terms-of-my-own-personal-growth-blah-blah-blah.

Well, the Ross-a-tron set me straight. Indirectly, of course. He’s far too lovely to actually give me the smack-down that I so rightly deserve and desperately need. Instead, the sweet man sent me an email of this:

Patient Trust

By Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Above all, trust in the slow work of God.
We are all, quite naturally,
impatient in everything to reach the end
without delay.
We should like to skip
the intermediate stages.
We are impatient of being
on the way to something unknown,
something new,
and yet it is the law of all progress
that is made by passing through
some stages of instability-
and that it may take a very long time.

And so I think it is with you.
Your ideas mature gradually –
let them grow,
let them shape themselves,
without undue haste.
Don't try to force them on,
as though you could be today what time
(that is, to say, grace and circumstances
acting on your own good will)
will make you tomorrow.

Only God could say what this new spirit
gradually forming within you will be.
Give our Lord the benefit of believing
that His hand is leading you
and accept the anxiety of feeling yourself
in suspense and incomplete.


Um, yeah. I was triple-snapped. But it was worth it, because these words are pretty gorgeous, don’t you think?



with love from Pittsburgh,

Laura

{image from here. i love their stuff.}

4 lovely bits o' feedback.:

Duel Living said...

Very nice, very nice. Good ol' Ross-A-Tron does it again! I totally get the way you are feeling though...I want it my way, now, now now!!!! This is a good reminder why it makes sense to just sssslllllooowwww down.

xoxox,
Brandi

Lynnetta said...

Thank you for sharing. I needed that today.

laureen said...

oh dear. oh my. oh no. oh whatever. oh alright. never pray for patience. you'll get lots of opportunities to practice. i'm with you, girlfriend.

Odessa Glass Cutting said...

Awesome blog yyou have here